What are the chances of having a false positive TPHA after Penicillin shot?

Dr. Ashwini Kolur

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: hi doc I have tested reactive for tpha test last month and was given a shot of penicillin i was told to return after 4 weeks and still tested reactive for tpha test. I have been given another shot and told to return in 4 weeks is this the normal procedure?What should I do I have a good mind to go back & get retested and at least they advis me of the dilution
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
three are chance of tpha being false positive, relax if you have taken proper treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing here.

I have gone through your query, it is common to have positive TPHA after treatment
You need not to worry if you have complete the course of penicillin injection .
False positive results are seen in many patients with Treponema pallidum haemagglutination test. Certain patients were leprosy also showed false positive TPHA. For confirmation i would have asked you to do DARK ILLUMINATION TEST .

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj