What are the causes of foul smells in urine?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My urine smells like rotten eggs. I drink 6 glasses of water daily and I have not not consumed asparagus.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that two possibilities arise . First will be presence of urine infection which needs to be ruled out . You should see a physician get a urine r/ m and c/s done to look for any infection. Other is ruling out any kind of metabolic disorder . like cystinuria etc also leads to smell in urine .so first the cause needs to be established before suggesting you any treatment . Take care. Dr. Shruti