Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Vertebral hemangioma, unable to run, walk fast, 25 radiations, alternatives ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
i am 32 yrs old, having vertebral hemangioma at d10-d11 spin area, due to which i am unable to run or walk fast.
i went through 25 radiations sitting from 3rd october 2010 to 10 nov 2010.
having 20 % of improvement,
i would like to know that, is there any thing else i can do other then surgery.
waiting for ur reply.

thanks & Rgds
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 48 minutes later

Vertebral hemangiomas are abnormalities of the blood vessels around the spine that typically cause lesions around one or two vertebrae.

In addition to radiation therapy there are other options that can be helpful for treatment of this condition.

1. Endovascular Embolization
Endovascular embolization is a treatment where a catheter is inserted into the hemangioma (guided by CT) and inject a chemical blocking agent to cut off its blood supply to prevent any further trouble from it.

2. Injection of Absolute Alcohol - also called devascularization. This treatment destroys the hemangioma altogether by dissolving the small capillaries that feed it. More than one session of treatment may be necessary for complete resolution.

3. Surgery: If the hemangioma does not respond to less invasive techniques, surgery to destroy or remove the tumor can be done. But the recovery time with surgery is longer, and there is a higher risk of complications, as with any spinal surgery.

You might discuss the possibility of the above procedures in your case, with your treating doctors.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor