Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Ventral hernia surgery done. Took antibiotic for infection. How to remove hernia completely?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10427 Questions
I had surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago, done by a Vascular Surgeon. He called it a Ventral Hernia. When I went to get stitch/staples out 3 days later I had a belly pouring out Staph. Went to ER for surgery again, & wound vac system.
Have had infections all along. got 2nd opionion from DR that put me on long term antibiotics (2 mths). No more infect. wound a small finger tip. Need to get mesh out as it is delamenated. Need to do NOW while no infection. Hernia is like split diagonal lower left/upper right. Slinged upward shoving my organs up under ribs. What DR do I need? (General or Vascular Surgeon, something else)
Can't use Drs where I live as they will be stepping on each others toes (per say) & they don't want to do that. My surgeon said he can do nothing. The only way he would is if it was an absolute er. Will go toward Houston TX way to get this done NOW! I really do need some help & surgery.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since there is no infection n the area right now, it is the best time to get the mesh removed. It is best to consult a vascular surgeon for this purpose. If he is not available then a general surgeon should be able to help you out.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Ventral hernia surgery done. Took antibiotic for infection. How to remove hernia completely? 1 hour later
Can you suggest any good Dr's/Hospitals? (preferably from Conroe/Kingwood to Houston, TX area)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Regarding the Vascular surgeon at your place I am sorry I am not aware of as I am in India.

Since I don't know any doctor personally in your area,you have to search your self or ask some local friend of yours who can find a doctor for you. The best thing is to take advise from your family physician, he will suggest one to you.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor