Urinary incontinence. What is causing this and required treatment?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Urinary incontinence. sporadic but becoming more frequent.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 days later

Welcome to Health Care Magic. Thanks for writing in.

There are two types of incontinence. Urge and stress incontinence. In urge incontinence, when the bladder is minimally distended urgency of micturition occurs. In stress incontinence when the bladder is completely filled, there is difficulty in holding and micturition occur.

There are multiple causes like sphincter dysfunction, loss of sensation, loss of nerve control or sacral spinal problem.

It will be helpful if you consult urophysician or urosurgeon. Because, a detailed examination and few investigations like urodynamic study, micturating cysto-urethrogram or MRI spine may be necessary.

However, decision mainly depends on clinical examination.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further concern please let me know.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan