Unable to walk due to polio. Will it be cured after surgery?
Polio attcked my fiancee in her childhood, due to which one of her leg is smaller and little shorter than the other and she can not walk properly. She is loosing her self confidence. We are considering to go for a surgery to improve her mobility. She is 27 years old.
Here are my questions.
1. How long will it take for the surgery and how long is the post surgery recovery period? What would be the approximate cost? I know it depends on the complexity of the surgery and other factors, but I am looking for approximation.
2. Can you please give me the list of best hospitals/Doctors in India, who are experts in such complex surgeries?
3. Does insurance cover the cost of surgery?
Appreciate the detailed information.
Thank you !
Thanks for posting your query.
The corrective limb lengthening and limb shortening procedures are available. Using these procedures, the limb length can be corrected but the associated muscle weakness is difficult to correct.
Complete recovery is difficult to attain. Extensive physiotherapy is needed after the surgery to regain the lost muscle strength to some extent. Usually it takes 8-10 weeks for most of the recovery after the surgery.
The cost of procedure varies as multiple corrective procedures might be needed depending on the clinical assessment.
The total cost of medicines, duration of stay in the hospital are also variable according to the associated problems and complications. An approximate expense should be near rupees two lakhs.
Most of the medical insurances do cover such surgical procedures. You can talk to your agent for better details.
To find a good Orthopedician nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
WWW.WWWW.WW You can initiate the treatment at the nearest medical college or a research institute.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
I have couple of follow up questions though.
1. I was looking at the link provided by you. It gives the list of all the Orthopedic surgeons. Are there are any medical/research centers which specializes in Post polio surgeries in India?
2. Are there advanced surgical techniques in US/UK compared to India? If yes, how much would it cost to get the surgery done in US or UK?
Thanks for writing again.
You can approach XXXXXXX sewa sansthan, Udaipur or XXXXXXX hospital- Pune.
The surgery can be done in UK/ USA also but the results are likely to be similar. Now a days all the latest techniques of surgery are followed in India too. Rather the patients from these countries are coming to India for a cheaper and equally effective treatment here.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Surgery for polio attacked leg
- Male sterility due to polio
- Have problem in walking due to polio
- Is it possible to cure polio through surgery
- Walking with polio calipers
- Treatment and cure for polio surgeries
- Bow legs due to polio
- How to improve walking in polio
- Deafness due to polio vaccine
- Surgery of thin thi and leg due to polio