Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Treated for UTI with levoflox. Having recurrent attacks and culture showing Ecoli. Continue taking nft?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
Hi Doctor
I am 52 yearmarried male and i got UTI in 2008 Fever chills Treated wid levoflox nw recurnt attcks every yr c/s shows nft .Hw long shd i take nft
I am taking nitrofurantoin 100 bd for 10 days . Culture shows E coli
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that you can take nitrofurantoin for 10 days but recurrent UTI needs evaluation .

You should get a USG Abdomen to look for any kidney issues and USG Prostate to look for any signs of Benign Hypertrophy of prostate . These two conditions are most common with patients of your age having recurrent UTI . Try to drink lots of water . Ask your doctor to add some urinary alkaliniser for this problem . Add cranberry juice to your diet .

I will advise you to consult a urologist for this.

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Treated for UTI with levoflox. Having recurrent attacks and culture showing Ecoli. Continue taking nft? 17 minutes later
USG shows tiny mutiple calculi of 3-4 mm size , which started giving me bouts of pain in both flanks, there was fever and chills intially. I was put on levofloxacin 500 for 21 days with urispas tabs . I recovered fully . But from 2008 i got two more attacks . Urine sample showed E coli sensitive to noirofurantoin . I took niftran 100 bd for 10 days . It was ok. Now i am feeling same burning while urination and mild fever . I atarted niftran again.feeling better now. Tell me doctor how long should i continue with nitrofruantion to eleminate the infection completely
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for reverting back.

Well you need to do a urine c/s again to see if it is sterile to think that the infection has completely eradicated . If the cause is not treated you will get infection again .
You need to consult your treating doctor to ask how long it should continue because it cannot be decided just on the basis of symptoms.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor