Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Throat irritation, chest tightness, runny and watery nose since using ammonia cleaner. Will the symptoms worsen?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 561 Questions
Hello! I decided to strip the wax buildup off of my kitchen floor and used straight ammonia. I poured it on the floor and let it sit for a minute or two and then scraped and wiped the floor. The ammonia smell was horrible, but I kept at it for about 2 hours straight. I had no windows or doors open. Then to make matters worse, I thought I grabbed a new ammonia bottle (the other one I was using was empty) but I had grabbed a Clorox cleaner bottle and I dumped that on the floor and it mixed with the ammonia. I quickly wiped it up and dried the area. I have used ammonia before, and had no ill effects, but have not used it undiluted nor for as long of a period of time, or mixed it with Clorox. It has now been about 5 or 6 hours since I used the ammonia/clorox and I have an irritated throat, slight chest tightness, stuffy/runny nose and watery eyes. My questions are: I am ok and can deal with the irriations as long as they are not life threatening. Should I be worried about dying from this if 5 or 6 hours have past and I just have the above mentioned symptoms, or can symptoms worsen over time, thus leading to possible death?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
It looks there is significant exposure to ammonia fumes at present. Presently just monitor your symptoms if you feel there is increase in chest tightness or difficulty in breathing then needs to visit emergency room immediately
If symptoms are stable or decreasing then you can relax. Have fresh air. Keep yourself away from infected area. It will decrease further exposure. If possible ask for anyone company in case your health deteriorate.
Make sure you are not going to die at all in any case . Whatever will be course it will be mild only.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Take care of you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor