Three weeks ago, I was leaning over to look under

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: Three weeks ago, I was leaning over to look under a desk at work. I was leaned over for a few moments, so blood was rushing to my head a little. Right before standing back up, I felt a "pop" in the right side of my neck, below my ear by a couple of inches--near the area where you check for a pulse.

I stopped for a minute to make sure I didn't do anything serious, but everything seemed okay. There was never any pain, just that one pop feeling that did not feel to be bone or joint related.

Fast forward a few weeks to yesterday, and I was driving over a high bridge, when I started to feel a little pressure in that same spot. It went away after I descended down the bridge. It did the same thing a couple of hours later when I crossed the bridge again. I've ran a few 5Ks in between these events as well as exercised nearly daily and have experienced no other issues other than what I've described here. I can't find any info on this online. Does it seem like something I can disregard? The first thing I had thought at the time was that I a popped a blood vessel.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube stabilising air pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I don't think this is related to popping a blood vessel. I believe you just popped air in Eustachian tube. It is a cannal that connects the middle ear to the nasopharynx. It controls the pressure in middle ear making equal to pressure outside body.
So when you go up the pressure outside is lower and a pop is felt making air to go out of ear.
When you go downhill the pop doubt is made letting air to go inside ear.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 15 minutes later
I didn't realize that part of the ear went down that far into my neck. Thank you for the help and info!
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube stabilising air.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear , possibly you had suddenly moved head from down to up and Sir in Eustachian tube has moved.
Best regards.