Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Taking neimercazole for thyroid problem. Found positive for pregnancy. What to do?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Hello doctor,

I am XXXXXXX , age:23, i am having Thyroid, i am having Neimercazole 5 MG/twice per day, for my Thyroid treatment as per one of my doctor consultation, and this month my pregnancy is confirmed and i remember that my doctor mentioned one of our personal communication to stop the Neimercazole tablet, please let me know what should i have to take to compensate Neimercazole 5 MG/twice per day, I have already stopped using Neimercazole since 3 days.
Please let me know what tablet should i needed to take now?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 37 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms and defined medication, it can be concluded that you are suffering from Thyrotoxicosis.
Neomercazole contains Carbimazole which can cross placenta.
Few studies mentioned that carbimazole should not be given during pregnancy as it may cause skin related anomalies in developing fetus.
While few studies suggest there is no harm in continue carbimazole and it should be stopped during 36-37 weeks of pregnancy.

With titration between risk and benefits of Carbimazole, its better to avoid this drug during pregnancy.
Ptopylthiouracil is the recommended medicine for thyrotoxicosis during pregnancy.
Although propylthiouracil is also category D drug but it is preferable over Carbimazole.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for thyroid profile for present status.
You should take propylthiouracil on written prescription.
Dosage depends on current thyroid profile.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor