Taking betahistine for menieres disease. Having wisdom teeth. What medicine can i take now?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i suffer from menieres disease i take betahistine tablets which have worked very in the pass but recently the medication has stopped working could this be the result of a wisdom tooth coming through i noticed a wisdom tooth coming through 3 months ago same time as attacks started again my gp increased betahistine to 16mg and i have kept to my low salt no caffeine no alcohol diet ever sine but attacks have become almost daily since
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

Betahistine has a very good role in preventing Menieres disease symptoms. But as with every drug, tolerance can develop at the previous dosage. Hence the need for increasing the dose to 16 mg.

One of the causes of Meneieres disease attack includes stress or lack of sleep. If your eruption of wisdom tooth is causing you stress or lack of sleep, then it may cause some episodes of attack.

I hope that your attacks are controlled by 16 mg of betahistine. If they persist, then report back to your ENT specialist. Keep following other precautions and diet restrictions as advised by your doctor.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any query, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad