Taking avapro but blood pressure suddenly gone up. Could this be due to white coat effect?

Posted on Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Why has my blood pressure suddenly gone up from about 120/75 to anything up to 150/85 or the most recent 136/84.... I am taking avapro HCT and it has been ok for some years now..... I do have a new GP but even taking into account "white coat effect" I don't think that applies now as I;ve had 4 visits to this new doctor and feel quite at ease with him... I am a 72yr old female 90 kilos but very active.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
various possibilities discussed below.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. The problem of increase in blood pressure (BP) could be either white coat effect, deficiencies in measurement or your BP may have increased truly.
2. Blood pressure is a disease of being human. With increasing age the blood pressure tends to increase in most of individuals. Hence it is a possibility that on same drugs your BP has actually increased.
3. It is also possible that white coat effect is persisting despite your establishing a rapport with your GP.
4. A fault in measuring techniques/ instruments may be responsible for same. Ideally it should be measured in relaxed state, with no smoking/ tea/ coffee/ exercise in last one hour, in a relaxed physical and mental state.
The best way is to sort this out is to take multiple readings at home, in relaxed state, with a definitely correct instrument. If there is a doubt about the instrument , recheck with some other instrument. In the meantime continue with your medicines and life style modifications. Life style modification include ideal weight management (BMI<25), moderation of alcohol, no smoking,, low salt diet and exercise under supervision.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist