Taken several BP meds over yrs. Currently taking 50mg Larsartan

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Taken several BP meds over yrs. Currently taking 50mg Larsartan every 12hrs, plus 0.1 Clonidine every 6hrs, statin as well. BP is lately and often up to 200/100. I can get it down to below normal sometimes. To often to high. Tried most of the leading BP meds. Yrs ago having the same problems, doctor then prescribed Valium 10mg twice day, said to much tension/anxiety... it did the trick for couple yrs. Today different Doc, refusing Valium. Had to go ER twice in the last yrs. I know Valium lowers my BP...... What say you Docs? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Valium can reduce blood pressure but it is not recommended to treat high blood pressure. Kindly asked for some more information.

Detailed Answer:

Valium can reduce blood pressure values and enhance the effect of the medications used to treat high blood pressure. Even though studies find that Valium decreases high blood pressure, it is not recommended in any medical guidelines to be used for this purpose. On the other hand its safety with long term use is of concern and if the doctor gives it should weigh the benefits and risks of Valium regular use.

You have mentioned that you have already used many medications to treat high blood pressure without much effect. I would kindly ask for some more information related to this:
- which medications have you used?
- have you had combination of more then 2 medications for high blood pressure at the same time? Which of them?
- have you been trying conservative treatment for hypertension: low salt diet, healthy lifestyle with some exercise daily and healthy diet, no smoking, etc?
- do you have other medical problems like diabetes, heart problems?
- how often do you get values over 160/100 mmHg and how often do you get values under 90/60mmHg?
- have you been trying other medications for anxiety, other then Valium?

Treatment of hypertension can be difficult in some patients, different patients have better effect with certain medications and good check and follow up is needed to find the right medications and dose for each patient.

Kindly asked to let me know of the above information. You can copy and paste my questions and answer under each question so you don't miss them.

Waiting to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj, General and Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj