Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Swollen, sore and bruised leg after accident. Swollen ankle after standing for a long time. Will it just take time?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
Hi, hi had an accident with a scooter two weeks ago. My leg was between the scooter and a wall. It swelled up immediately. I iced it and continued on with my vacation. It was vey sore and bruised for the first few days, and has gone down in size, but there is still a large "goose egg" that is tender. It feels like a pulled muscle, and when I am on my feet all day, my ankle swells slightly. Do I need to see a Dr. Or will it just take time? The knot is very firm/ tight. Visible bruising is just about gone.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
You must have injured yourself internally. The lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessel. Usually these swellings are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can consult your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

In my opinion, do a hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, take absolute bed rest, have anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor