Swollen lumps with pus and blood under arms. What could be this?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have two swollen lumps under my right arm and one under my left. the left lump has drained some pus and a little blood . the right looks like it has pus but hasn't drained n has the second one under the right arm. I had two under the right armabout 2 months ago. took 19 days of backten. cleared up except most gone, now this has happened. 77 and widow. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Abscesses need to be incised and drained Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic An abscess is a collection of pus within a particular tissue of the body. From the description you have provided, it sounds as though you have abscess formation under the arms. Since you had a similar problem a few weeks ago, it would be termed recurrent abscess. There is a condition called hiradenitis suppurativa but in that condition there is recurrent abscess formation in this area over a period of years.Since this is not this case for you then it would simply be termed recurrent abscess. These abscess often form as a result of blockage of the hair follicles. Because the secretions are unable to escape, infection occurs. It is likely that recurrence occurred because there was a nidus of infection or pus remained after treatment. You can consider applying magnesium sulphate paste to the lesion on the right arm that has not burst as yet. This encourages the pus to come to the surface. Effective treatment requires that all the affected areas be opened slightly by a doctor and any abscess walls need to be broken down to prevent recurrence. You would also need another dose of antibiotics. After these lesions have healed you should consider using antiseptic soaps in this area to reduce the chance of any further problems. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions