Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

196 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Swollen lumps with pus and blood under arms. What could be this?

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 15820 Questions

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have two swollen lumps under my right arm and one under my left. the left lump has drained some pus and a little blood . the right looks like it has pus but hasn't drained n has the second one under the right arm. I had two under the right armabout 2 months ago. took 19 days of backten. cleared up except most gone, now this has happened. 77 and widow. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Abscesses need to be incised and drained Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic An abscess is a collection of pus within a particular tissue of the body. From the description you have provided, it sounds as though you have abscess formation under the arms. Since you had a similar problem a few weeks ago, it would be termed recurrent abscess. There is a condition called hiradenitis suppurativa but in that condition there is recurrent abscess formation in this area over a period of years.Since this is not this case for you then it would simply be termed recurrent abscess. These abscess often form as a result of blockage of the hair follicles. Because the secretions are unable to escape, infection occurs. It is likely that recurrence occurred because there was a nidus of infection or pus remained after treatment. You can consider applying magnesium sulphate paste to the lesion on the right arm that has not burst as yet. This encourages the pus to come to the surface. Effective treatment requires that all the affected areas be opened slightly by a doctor and any abscess walls need to be broken down to prevent recurrence. You would also need another dose of antibiotics. After these lesions have healed you should consider using antiseptic soaps in this area to reduce the chance of any further problems. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Anorectal abscess

doctor1 MD

gud evening...from last 3 and half years i am suffering from perianal fistula..i had a surgeory on perianal absess and after that it became perianal fistula and that i went on a lazer treatment on it...still it is not 1 more absess near the first one....can you suggest any proper treatment for this?...

doctor1 MD

A month ago I had surgery for an anal fissure. That surgery was successful. Unfortunately, I developed an abscess whee the doctor used numbing medication. The location is just outside the anus. The doctor, a colorectal surgeon, drained the abscess 2 days ago and inserted a drain tube. He said the abscess was about the diameter of a golf ball. However, he did not comment on the red swelling sensitive skin about 5 inches away from the abscess. The original abscess appears to be filling back up but not draining despite many sitz baths. I also did not get an antibiotic for what I believe is a skin infection in the outlying areas. Due to the back and forth visits trying to have this resolved, I am loosing confidence in him. I want to get a second opinion but don't know what type of doctor is best to see for an abscess. Any guidance is appreciated.

doctor1 MD


I had a perianal abscess drained in the OR 5 days ago and still experience pain and discomfort. I still cannot sit down and the only thing that is comfortable for me is to lay down. What is the general recovery time and what should my expectations be? I'm really frustrated that I can't sit down and get back to work yet.

I had an abscess 5 years ago and a fistula formed and caused this new abscess. I was informed I would need surgery on the fistula once this abscess had healed. I'm a 28 year old male, 6 fee tall, and 150 lbs.

Thank you.

doctor1 MD

I had a small anal skin tag removed by liquid nitrogeon on the external anal rim 3 weeks ago and since then have constant pressure of wanting to have a bowel movement. The pressure is so bad and does not go away even after a bowel movement. Could liquid nitrogeon have damaged me

doctor1 MD

Pus culture yields heavy growth of Escherichia coli . I had for surgery under allopathic way but no cure. Hence did Kshara XXXXXXX procedure under ayurveda for permanent cure. But suddenly huge pus discharge from the fistula hole. We cultured it...

doctor1 MD

I think I have an anorectal abscess . Is it possible to have an anorectal abscess with the drainage coming out of the anus as I do not think it is a fistula because it is coming out the anus. It is painful at times and I can drain it by exerting...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, This is XXXX aged 30 Years Male. Since 10 -12 months i have this small lump/boil near around the anal area for which i consulted a General Surgeon , he advised for a scan to confirm anal fistula . However i am worried and not ready...