Suggest ways to take care of an epileptic patient having frequent seizures during day including sleep at night

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My friend XXXXXXX has epilepsy and is having so many seizures everyday and has been having seizures whenever he falls asleep. XXXXXXX cannot walk at this point and is unable to meet his needs on his own. My other friend XXXXXXX is taking care of him round the clock and not getting any sleep cuz he has to stay with XXXXXXX through the night to wake up him up when he goes into a seizure. It's absolutely awful and the care that XXXXXXX is providing is unsustainable and he's running himself into the ground. What can we do?? Also XXXXXXX is having trouble breathing, so bad that at times XXXXXXX has to breathe into Alex's mouth.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antiepileptic medications need to be started.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your friend's clinical details. Based on this, he is suffering from frequent seizures.

1. He needs to be started on broad spectrum antiepileptic drug, such as sodium valproate.

2. He needs detailed evaluation, including MRI brain and EEG.

3. He needs a nurse to help your friend XXXXXXX as one person can not look after XXXXXXX round-the-clock.

I hope my answer helps.

Wishing you good health. Take care.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
AXXXXXX HXXXXXXX, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX