Suggest ways to rule out anxiety

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017
Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
I do have a little anxiety sometimes and my blood pressure will go up but it usually goes down when I relax..my doc said I could take low dose beta blocker when it goes up .. Is this ok to take on a as needed basis? Should I go on a anti anxiety drug instead? I don't want to take either but I am worried about my blood pressure spikes.. My doc said I have attentuated blood vessels in my eyes too..he thinks it is because I am so nearsighted ..I only take 1/4 of tablet of attenonol ..it seems to calm me down but if can also lower my blood pressure too low
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that it's not advisable to start on anti anxiety drugs. Although they will be of great help but also will be habit forming.

You can go with your doctors advise of having a low dose beta blockers as and when required.

As you are taking very low dose atenolol which is also helping you so in my opinion you can continue taking it when you need it.

However I would like to suggest you that you should start doing Yoga/Meditation daily. It will really help you combat your stress and anxiety as many of my patients found it helpful and is now practicing it regularly.

I hope this information will answer your query and will guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap