Suggest ways to lose weight when diagnosed with type-2 diabetes

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am a Type 2 diabetic. Which is the best medicine to also work with weight loss?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metformin...

Detailed Answer:

First, I need to know your blood glucose levels to understand at point you are dealing with diabetes?

Second, you are saying to be taking metformin. This is a good med that will help to lose weight too.

However, I always advise my patients to:
- follow a healthy diabetic diet (can work with a dietitian for that)
- do regular physical activity depending on your health conditions
- take meds as prescribed

Hope it was of help! Let me know if you need further assistance!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 8 minutes later
What do you think of Glyburide vs Metaformic concerning weight loss?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glyburide (glibenclamide) commonly causing weight gain...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Glyburide is the tradename for the generic glibenclamide which appertains to the sulfonylurea drug class.

A common side effect of this medication is gaining weight. So, it won't help to lose weight. The only hypoglycemiant med that has been shown to lose weight is Metformin.

All the best!
Dr.Albana