Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment to stop diarrhea for about a week that is not controlled by Imodium and Pepto-Bismol

Answered by
Dr. Klarida Papaqako

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 1616 Questions

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i have had diarrhea for about a week and am concerned about taking magnesium suppplements. I have been taking Slow Mag with magnesium chloride. Age 81 take medicines for high blood pressure. What can I take to stop diarrhea I am currently taking immodiium and pepto bismo
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The cause of diarrhea should be investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

You seem to be taking all the medicines that are needed to stop the diarrhea. Also the BRAT diet is the one that is recommended and taking plenty of fluids.

But Immodium and Pepto-bismol just stop the bowel movement, they don't treat the cause of it. If the diarrhea lasts more then two-more days then you will need to do a local doctor so they can do the necessary tests to understand what is the cause of your diarrhea. Sometimes it is a bacterial infection that needs treatment with antibiotic, but sometimes can be something chronic that needs a lot of tests to be diagnosed. You may need to do a colonoscopy if you haven't done one in the last 10 years.

Magnesium supplements should not give diarrhea if you have been using them for some time, or the diarrhea should stop in few days if you stop taking them, if they are the cause.

Hope this is helpful.

Take care     
Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on