Suggest treatment herniated disc

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jul 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Would it be possible to have a Herniated disc at L5-S1 for many years having all the symptoms but never having an MRI to diagnosis the problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Disc herniation is detected on MRI scan.

Detailed Answer:
If there is a disc herniation then it should be detected on MRI scan. The symptoms of nerve compression with normal MR scan can be due to mild postural nerve root irritation. Do consult a neurologist for proper diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Dr. Tayal, thanks, but let me add. In 1997, I had a Workers Comp case where I was lifting a meal cart that was stuck on the airplane and had severe low back pain and left hip, enough pain to take my breath away. Since that time, I have dealt with low back pain, left sciatic problems, severe tightening of my T-ban, quad and glute. Have seen numerous chiropractors and had physical therapy but was never advised to have an MRI. My question is, can I have a herniated disc with all those symptoms for that length of time but never given an MRI to know that my disc was herniated? I have lived with this pain for numerous years. Trying to reopen my Workers Comp case, so need to know if this could have been from my 1997 injury, and gone unnoticed for this length of time because an MRI was never advised.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be related to the injury.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A back injury aggravates the degenerative changes in the spine like disc herniation. The problem could have been from injury you suffered in 1997 and MRI scan should have been advised by the treating orthopedician for proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.