Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Risperdal Consta

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have scitzophrenia. I have been on respiridol constantly for 5 years. I stopped getting the injections 3 months ago. I have not had psychosis. I feel nauseous and my head feels heavy. when will these symptoms subside? is there a medication that does not put weight on?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms will subside gradually in coming weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I can understand your concern. You were on Risperidal Consta injections and these injections were stopped 3 month back. The symptoms like nausea and heaviness in head you have are due to mild withdrawal only. Usuall long acting injections don't cause withdrawal or cause mild withdrawal only. You can take Domperidone or Metochlorpropamide for relief from nausea and heaviness in head. The symptoms will subside gradually in coming weeks.

Newer medicines like Lurasidone, Aripiprazole etc are relatively safer in terms of weight gain. These medicines have good efficacy in psychotic symptoms and don't cause weight gain. You can talk with your doctor for these medicines.

Thanks and Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy