Suggest treatment for wheezing in a child

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My 3 years old daughter have weezing issue, We took medication from various doctors. Medicenes used : Levolin inhaler using HUF PUF kit. We dont find any improvement. Kindly suggest a solution.
Noadays it started coming regularly.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Being a parent myself I understand your concern and apprehension.
The most likely cause of recurrent wheezing could be allergy , especially to dust.

I would advise you the following, which i am sure will definitely help

1. Steam inhalation: It will be a good habit to cultivate. Steam inhalation for 10-15 minutes each session twice a day. Give it regularly even if she is alright. It helps reduce nasal congestion and also clears the nose. You can buy a good quality electronic steamer
2. Monticope suspension: It has antihistaminic and mast cell stabilizer which will help reduce airway hyper reactivity and reduce the incidence of future attacks. It has to be used for 4- 6 months after which it can be stopped. 2.5 mg of Montelukast once daily
3. Wash the bed sheets pillow covers and cloth of baby in hot boiling water: It will remove the dust , mites and allergic substance present in it.
4. Decoction: To a cup of milk + 20 tulsi leaves+ 1 spoon of turmeric + small piece of ginger + 4 black pepper + 2 spoon of sugar. Bring it to boil. Filter it and feed her warm daily. It will reduce airway congestion and also Tulsi will boost immunity
5. Chyawanprash : 1 teaspoon twice a day will be beneficial to build up immunity
6. Himalaya Septilin syrup 5 ml twice a day will also boost immunity. Continue giving her for 3-4 months.

If the symptoms persists then consult Respiratory physician for detailed assessment.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T