Suggest treatment for weakness in right arm and legs while treating ALS

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am really scared that i have ALS. For about 2 months now i have had weakness in my right arm and hand, sometimes difficult doing things with small things in my right hand, i have also had some weakness in my legs too. I have also had a bunch of little muscle fasiculations that show up all over my body and little twitches. I was at my headache doctor about a week ago and asked him about this and he did a little exam on me. It wasnt like an official test or anything though. He told me that he doesnt think that i have ALS. But i am still having weakness and a lot of little muscle twitches and fasiculations so i am still really scared that i do have ALS. I have a history of health anxiety so that obviously isnt helping with the situation either.
Answered by Dr. Urszula Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms do not indicate ALS.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion you do not have to be worry about ALS because muscle weakness is not only a sign of ALS.

Lack of muscle fitness is one of the most common causes of muscle weakness. When you are not exercising your muscles are replaced with fat.

Also tiredness and fasciculation can be caused by anxiety. Excess stress increase adrenaline level in your blood so your muscles are in a constant state of tension.

You have to check your thyroid gland because fatigue, muscle weakness, anxiety and rapid heartbeat may indicate hyperthyroidism.

The last thing is that Nadolol can cause such side effects like tiredness or weakness.

Summary your symptoms do not indicate ALS. The most likely reason of your muscle problems is anxiety and lack of exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Urszula Stanko