Suggest treatment for vomiting and diarrhea
hold off solids, fluid replacement, probiotics
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The most common cause for vomiting and diarrhea is an infection of the gastrointestinal tract. It can be due to viral or bacterial infection and normally lasts only a few days though can last up to 2 weeks in some persons (not commonly)
Treatment--(1)NO EATING-- the stomach and intestines cannot absorb food, they are inflamed/irritated and food worsens this inflammation. Food is restarted when 4 hours have passed with no diarrhea or vomiting.
When restarted, very small amounts of dry foods such as biscuits or bread , can be used.
(2)Fluid is fine once it is not sweet, sugar also worsens diarrhea- oral rehydration fluids or a very dilute sports drink (to dilute the sugar), can be used to help replace both fluids and electrolytes
if neither of these are available can use ginger or peppermint tea or water.
The very important thing about drinking is SIPS. If you use too much, it irritates the stomach and causes vomiting.
Drink 1 tsp to 1 tbs every 5 mins for 1 hour, if this is tolerated then the amount can be increased.
Replacing fluids can actually help the vomiting by decreasing acid content.
(3)Probiotics, either on their own or in yogurts
(4)dramamine or peptobismol can help with the vomiting
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the treatment for vomiting and diarrhea
- Fever vomiting diarrhea athletic treatment
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea and vomiting
- Child with diarrhea and vomiting fever treatment
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- What treatment is suggested for diarrhea
- What treatment is suggested for diarrhea and vomiting
- Vomiting and diarrhea treatment
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea with sinus
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea