Suggest treatment for vitreomacular traction syndrome

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Dear Doctor,
Here are few reports related to diagnosis of one of my relatives (Female, age around 62). She has problem in her one eye.

Treating Doctors are suggesting to go for a surgery as soon as possible otherwise she may loose vision.

Our questions are ?
1. Is the surgery only option for this situation ?
2. If Yes to question 1, How much time do we have?
3. Should it be a regular surgery or laser or anything else ? also let us know the average cost ?
4. Where/Which Hospital should we go for the surgery in XXXXXXX ?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is the best option

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthCareMagic.Com

Thank you for sending in your query.

I need to know a few details before I can help you to my best ability.

1. Vision of the patient?
2. Diabetic status?
3. Is the patient Hypertensive?
4. Has any treatment been given as yet? like any intra vitreal injection?
5. Is the condition progressing.
6. Any other relevant details.

As of now, by looking at the scans I am confident its a case of vitreo-macular traction syndrome. In this condition a taut vitreous causes traction on the retina and leads to severe vision loss.

Vitrectomy surgery is the most effective treatment to release the vitreomacular traction. During vitrectomy surgery, the vitreous is removed from the eye and the vitreous is separated from the back of the eye.

In very select patients, an injection of medication in the eye may cause the vitreomacular traction to release without the need for surgery. But the scans seem to depict a severe form of the disease and injections may not be of any help.

Having said all this, kindly provide me the above details so that I can help you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 46 hours later
Thanks for the answer Doctor.

Patient and family both are ready for the surgery as you also confirmed, "Surgery is the best option"

Please let us know the best option as hospital in XXXXXXX for this surgery and also the average cost using different techniques.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Individual Choice

Detailed Answer:
Welcome Back to HealthCareMagic. Com

Choosing the right hospital for the surgery is a very individual approach. It is not a very complicated procedure but you need a Qualified and well trained Posterior Segment Surgeon (Vitreo-Retinal Surgeon) for the job.

The obvious choices for such surgeries are the premier institutes like:
XXXXXXX Nethralaya, XXXXXXX
LV XXXXXXX Eye Institute, XXXXXXX
Aravind Eye Hospital, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Sankardeva Nethralaya XXXXXXX

But these hospitals are far off and have long waiting lists.

So you can choose a well trained and experienced retina surgeon from your city.

And surgery cost varies a lot, depending on the centre and the doctor. A decent and reasonable charge should be around 30-40,000 Rs. It may be even less if it is a charitable institute.

If you have any further query please get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj