Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for vertical ridge that starts at hairline

Answered by
Dr. Dariush Saghafi


Practicing since :1988

Answered : 1673 Questions

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hi I don't much about this. I have a ridge running vertical from the front of my hairline just back for about 15-20 cm and it seems to be about 10 or so cm wide. I am a bit worried about it. Do I need to see a dr about it?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on some other information

Detailed Answer:
Good afternoon to you. My name is Dr. Saghafi and I hope to be able and satisfactorily answer your question. Many people will often "find" bumps and ridges on their heads that seem odd or otherwise bothersome since they'd never noticed them before. The fact is that the skull is not a smoothly contoured surface and in fact even within the same family there are many different configurations that skulls can take with respect to bumps, ridges, angles and curves.

In your case, I believe that the only way I would recommend seeing a doctor for is if you can categorically state that this entity is new and otherwise never on your head before. Or if it is new following a traumatic injury or some other event then, I would recommend seeing a doctor. If you can also say that you have noticed it in the past and it is clearly larger, wider, painful, or in some way changing its shape etc. then, again, I would agree that a physician visit would be mandatory.

Otherwise, if it's something you just noticed is not painful and is nothing that anybody else has commented on or made remarks then, I think you can safely observe the entity over a period of time before making any other decisions. I would also consider getting someone to take a picture of this ridge at several different angles if it is particularly enlarged or striking in appearance so that photos in the future can be compared.

I hope I have answered your question and that you have more guidance now as to how and handle this situation. If you feel I have helped you gain the insights you needed to decide on your next steps may I ask you to provide some feedback on our discussion?

Also, if I have answered all of your questions satisfactorily would you kindly be sure to CLOSE THIS QUERY at your earliest convenience so that we can log the question as a completed event?

This query required 19 minutes of dedicated physician time in order to develop and finalize.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on