Suggest treatment for tendinosis

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Dr. Tayal. My mother discussed her problem with her posterior tibial tendon​ tear and inflammation with the doctor. The doctor resisted any cortisone shots because it would remove pain but would allegedly collapse the tendon.

She proposes a cast and immobilization and never surgery that would affect the structure of her foot. It all sounds rather ominous to me for the long run. My mother fears it will occur in the other foot and she'll lose the use of her feet. What kind of prognosis is there in this kind of scenario?? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cast is less likely to help.

Detailed Answer:
A cast and immobilization can help if it is an acute situation. The tendinosis is more than 8 weeks old. it is a chronic condition. Cortisone shots will cause degeneration if given repeatedly for a long term. if you want to avoid cortisone shots then surgery is the only option that will effectively cure the problem.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks as always, Dr. Tayal. My mother is currently trying various non-plaster braces with stabilizers but she complains of lack of support for her arch, so she is using some orthotics in her shoes and trying to stay off her feet. She is very scared of surgery, which the doctor says would basically require "reconstructing the foot" even with bone grafts, with no guarantee of complete relief.

The doctors seem adamant about not giving any cortisone because of concern of deteriorating the tendon since the injection would not be for a bone joint.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with braces.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Right now it is best to continue with rest and braces to delay the surgery as far as possible. Surgery should be the last option when all other measures fail.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.