Suggest treatment for staph infection

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 in Infections
Question: i have a staph infection on the underside of my left breast maybe from an ingrown folicle - is there anything else I need to be doing for this other than taking an antibioctic and using an antibioctic cream on it? I had it looked at by a nurse practioner on Friday - it was drained at that time I am 64 years old and pre-diabetic check blood sugar everyday it was 111 this am
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
That's optimum management

Detailed Answer:

I can assure you that you have been doing the optimum management needed to treat such condition.

Incision and drainage of the lesion, Antibiotic course, antibiotic ointment would be enough for the management.

You can also get a staph screening test which involves culture of swabs taken from inguinal region, armpits and the nasal vestibule. This helps to know whether there are chances of recurrence. If the report comes positive then you may have to be placed on longer course of antibiotics and antiseptics to clean the above parts.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,