How can a boil on the back be treated?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: Hello, my son has been suffering with a boil on his back at the beltline to the right of his spine. We have been treating it with a warm compress, Epson salt baths and teatree oil...on Tuesday it burst and looked better; today it appears swollen again and now he is complaining with neck pain. I thought maybe he had slept odd, but I do not want to overlook anything if the two things are connected someway...?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further actions required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Well, I've reviewed the photographs and I think that this is abscess which could origin from inflamed atheroma.

Some more serious issues such as penetration into spinal canal are theoretically possible and it would cause neck pain. However, this is a very rare scenario.

But I think that compresses and oil won't be enough. He definitely needs antibiotic treatment and probably surgical incision and drainage. This is pretty large and there is probably still pus underneath. If fever, headache or any other new symptoms occur, he should see a doctor as soon as possible.

Feel free to ask further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee