Suggest treatment for side effects of Escitalopram

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Men's Health
Question: My doctor gave me escitalopram 10 mg for 6 months. It cause me ED. Will my ED go away after that 6 months when i stop taking it? Im only 25.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will go away

Detailed Answer:
Hello Young man,

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Erectile dysfunction is a common side effect of Escitalopram. However it is completely reversible on stopping the drug. Escitalopram is overall a good drug for many psychiatric problems.

ED will go away after stopping the drug.

Even at present if you want to improve ED, you can ask for Cyproheptadine or Tadalafil like drug.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 9 minutes later
So there isnt a case where it causes permanant erectile dysfunction?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have not seen in my practice

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Escitalopram is a frequently used drug by psychiatrists. If it can cause permanent ED, it should have been noticed by me or my colleagues.

In my clinical practice I have never seen a case of permanent ED with escitalopram.
Even if someone is claiming about the same, there must be other factors for ED.

In conclusion there is no case I came across in practice or in literature of permanent ED with escitalopram.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 12 hours later
How long would it take for your libido to be normal after you get off of it?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
approximately in 3-4 weeks

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for delayed response.

Among SSRI escitalopram has the least potential to cause ED. This side effect is reversible within 3-4 weeks after stopping the drug.

If still any query there, I will be happy to answer if not, you can close the discussion and if feasible give your feedback and rating so I can improve my service.

In future if you wish you can contact me directly on this site with following link:
http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki

by clicking on 'Ask me a question' on same page with three follow up questions.