Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the shoulder after a fall

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 59 years old 5'8" 180 lbs. fairly active male in good shape. While walking on concrete surface on 10/6/17 I stepped on oil and both feet came out from under me. I landed on my butt, but tried to break the fall with my left hand. I felt sharp pain in my left shoulder. As the day progressed the pain got worse, to the point I could barely use my arm.
Two moths later I still am in pain, especially at night while trying to sleep. I have only gone to the gym once since it happened and it only made it worse. I am still able to do most routine activities, but afterwards I pay for it with increased pain.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa due to an injury.
You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad