What causes pain in the right arm?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Pain in upper right arm mainly at night. More than moderate but not constant. Cannot sleep on right side, but even lying on my left side there can be pain depending on how my arm was moving or positioned while I was asleep. Pain lessens and stops if I get up. Pain during the day when moving arm across in front of my body, not as much moving it away from my body. Pain in day is deep in elbow radiating up a ways. I can reach up, or lift things with little or no pain. This has been for about two months.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff.
You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.
Physiotherapy can help with oral muscle relaxants.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal