Suggest treatment for severe vomiting and abdominal pain after an appendectomy

Posted on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have vomiting and pain in my lower left abdomen. I have already had my appendix removed. What could this new?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May have to visit ER if the vomiting does not stop for the obvious reasons

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted your history about appendectomy in past, medication and allergy history.
Now you have persistent vomiting as explained by you that nothing stays down and you are not taking any medicine for vomiting.
There is pain in the left lower abdomen. (appendix is on the right lower side).

You may please try antiemetic tablet like domperidone and antacid liquid.
If the vomiting is persistent, you need injectable therapy and also to check for vitals, dehydration and get appropriate replacement.
For this you may need to visit ER.

May I please know a few more details?
- Since when have you got this problem?
- Any bloating, pain in abdomen, change in bowel habit like either loose stools or constipation?
- Any urinary symptoms? Any reduction in volume?
- Dryness of mouth?
- Any other symptoms?

Please give feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 13 minutes later
I will try an antacid to see if that helps if it will stay down. I have had loose stools off and on this past week. I ate a few big meals due to travel and Christmas but those were several days ago. None of the other symptoms you mentioned above.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please give feedback and reports if done.

Detailed Answer:
This is alright to start antacid and see, Domperidone helps to stop vomiting.
History of loose stool off and on past week suggest that there may be gastroenteritis and a stool test along with routine tests of blood and urine will help to get a proper diagnosis and treatment as needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon