Should laxatives be taken for constant constipation and lower right abdominal pain?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am having abdominal RLQ pain, bloating and no BM x 10-14 days. This is not normal for me. Should I take a laxative?

History of appendectomy in that location 20 years ago.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
X-ray abdomen and enea to start with

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
If there is no BM for 10 - 14 days with pain in right lower quadrant of abdomen, I would advise you the following:
Get an X-ray of the abdomen to see for fecolith formation; if present it is better to get started with an enema. Evacuation of rectim and distal colon is very important after a long gap of BM.
Mere laxative can increase the pain and problems if started with.
I hope this answer helps you.
Since this is not normal for you, it is better to get investigated thoroughly considering your age of 74.
Please give feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.