Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs and muscle cramps

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I will occasionally have a muscle crampon my left side by my rib cage. Usually occurs while I am sitting, like in an airplane seat or bleachers, or perhaps riding in a car. When I stand up, the cramp will go away.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxxxxxx
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.
I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I have generally seen many cases like this in my clinic, what i have found out that most of the cases are due to some sort of pleuritic pain in the concerned rib areas.
In your case, you mentioned that you have these cramps only on left side of ribcage, that too only on sitting.
If the cramps are of continuous nature, and if they are present even on standing,walking,sleeping,then its definitely of worry.
The fact that you get this only on sitting should not be of much worry.

It may happen due to weakness of the rib cage muscles or an inflammation of pleura in that region.

You can take analgesics,anti inflammatory tablets, apply a local analgesic gel, do hot fomentation and wear a rib cage belt for support.

You can even add calcium and vitamin tablets to supplement.
If the symptoms are worse,and not relieved, you shoul get a xray chest to see if anything is wrong inside.

Being on left side,it will always be safe to get your blood pressure and ECG checked

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     

I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 6 hours later
I have it cramp when I have been laying in bed also.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
query answered

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back

you get cramps on lying in bed, thats because of the exertion that the legs go through when you ambulate during the day time.

I advice you to follow the instructions that i have mentioned in the earlier message

I hope your question has been answered.
If you have any follow-up queries,feel free to consult me anytime.

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion. Wish you a good health.Have a great day : )
Take care,God bless.      
YOUR RATING FOR THIS ANSWER MATTERS A LOT AND WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
So I clarify, the cramp will be just below rib cage in abdomen, if that matters. But my leg calf muscles will sometimes cramp also. Would this be calcium deficiency ?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
query answered

Detailed Answer:
hi..

it can be calcium deficiency...
Infact i told you earlier, you can take calcium supplements

I hope your question has been answered.

Take care,God bless.