Suggest treatment for severe cough in an asthmatic child

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 in Child Health
Question: My daughter age of 6 years is acute asthmatic, she is coughing continuous since morning, I am giving Levolin and Duolin respule Nebulizer every 2 hours, not getting much relief.
Please suggest something for immediate relief.

My daughter is Asthamatic - (Allergic).
She is having this problem when she was 3months old, earlier Doctor has told to give Nebulizer of Levolin (when she have attack) and after that suggest Inhaler - Levolic and Seretide
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give her stat dose of omnacortil at 1 mg/kg/dose

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I understand your concerns but don't worry. Since she is not responding to frequent doses of duolin and levolin nebulisations. I would recommend you to give her omnacortil syrup at 1mg/kg/dose immediately and start her on budecort nebulisation twice daily.
Continue levolin nebulisation at 2-4 hourly interval but increase the duration of duolin nebulisation to 6 hourly. Also watch for tremors and tachycardia. If they appear, then decrease the frequency of these nebulisations.
If in spite of above management, she doesn't respond in next 4-6 hours or the condition worsens, then immediately contact ER in your vicinity. It's better to go for further management at a hospital setup.

Hopefully this will help you. In case of any further questions, I will be happy to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj