Suggest treatment for recurring bronchitis caused by smoking Marijuana

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hi iv had bhronciti and I took a z pack like a week and a half ago I felt way better until I smoked I don't smoke tabbaco I smoke mj iv been for about 3 years so after I did my systoms came back a deep throgh tickle that makes me cough when I breath deeply can u tell me what I need to take to get rod of this or tell me what you think it could be it affects me in the morning when I wake up I cough up phlym but its clear most of the time sometimes I can't sleep at night from coughing it wakes me to I have seasonal allergies
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be from continued bronchial irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Symptoms of bronchitis can continue and not be from bacteria. We are now learning that the inflammation of bronchitis can last for a few weeks. If it was a bacterial bronchitis to start with, the Zpack probably took care of killing the bacteria, but you likely continue to have some inflammation made worse by the mj. Is there any way you can stop smoking that, at least for a while?

You may also need an anti-inflammatory inhaler such as fluticasone (or other inhaled corticosteroids) to get the inflammation under control. The albuterol is a "rescue" type inhaler, which temporarily opens the airways. But an anti-inflammatory inhaler will get at the underlying problem. You can still use the albuterol as needed. It will take the inhaled corticosteroid a few days to start to help.

A cough suppressant may be helpful at night, such as guaifenesin with or without codeine. Codeine is a powerful cough suppressant, but some people do not do well with a narcotic.

So the thing to do now is to contact your doctor and let him/her know what is going on and you can discuss specifically the idea of an inhaled corticosteroid and possibly a cough suppressant for night time sleep.

Also, be sure to tell him the mucus is clear, or he/she may be tempted to just treat with another antibiotic which won't help you out.

I hope this information helps. Is there anything further I can answer or clarify about this topic?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh