Suggest treatment for pulled muscles and ligaments in the leg

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: About 2 weeks ago, I tripped on a stair and pulled a muscle or ligament in my left leg in the calf area. I had done this to the same area of the leg about ten years ago and remember keeping off the leg as much as possible and keeping the leg elevated with an ice pack on it . It has been getting better slowly and can walk on it almost without a limp, however I notice some discoloration (slight black and blue on parts of the foot). Should I be concerned or is this part of the healing process? XXXXXXX Phister
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is part of the healing process!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcare magic.

I have reviewed this information fully. After injury, blood leaks under the skin. As swelling gives way, this becomes more evident as can be seen through the skin discoloration. Often, it may be black/bluish/brown. There is nothing to be worried about as this is entirely normal.

I hope this clears your worries. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if you have any further worries concerning this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T