Suggest treatment for pimples

Posted on Tue, 11 Nov 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've worked very hard on my face for the last 5 yrs. to get it to a nice, even, smooth completion. My dermatologist has me on a regimen of using a smooth exfoliator in the morning, finacea and then a sunscreen. At night I use the exfoliator and Epiduo. This has been working. Last week I decided to a face mask of just unsulfured blackstrap molasses. I kept it on for one hour on Wednesday night, washed off with warm water and went to bed. My skin looked great the next day. I decided to try it for one more night but this time exfoliated with the cleanser and left the molasses mask on for 2.5 hours. I woke up Friday morning with small grain like bumps/small goose bumps. My face looked oily and rough like someone who has been eating greasy foods everyday of their lives. My normal dermatologist was out so I went to another DERM who prescribed hydrocortisone 2.5. Will this work? My face does not itch, not tight and it's not red. When you look at my face it just looks rough and oily. To the touch it feels like small rough grains all over my face/chicken skin. Will this go away? I've been using the hydrocortisone for 2 days now after washing my face with a light cleanser - Cetaphil. Do you think it's ok to go back to the normal acne regime my doctor prescribed? I am so upset and don't see this going away and don't see how the hydrocortisone will help this. 5 yrs. down the drain within 24 hours. The DERM didn't even touch my face to feel it. Just want to add that my face did not swell up, no itching, no dryness, no pain, nothing just these small bumps. This is why I don't think the hydrocortisone will work and why I think I should go back to my normal regimen. Also, I fear I might start getting pimples if I don't start up my regimen again. Just to add, I was also taking Solodyn 65
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
comeones, need acne treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the question and photograph. I can see there are few comedones on your face. These give rise to acne. Only hydrocortisone will not help. Its better to start acne regimen. Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 minutes later
Ok. that's what I thought. My guess is that the molasses clogged my pores. I will restart acne regimen right away. Thankfully it did not get worse. I've only used two applications of the hydrocortisone (morning and night). Do you think there was any harm in that? It didn't appear to make the condition worse or better.

These comedones seem to be pretty small. Do you think there is any risk of them turning into bigger pimples?

These comedones seem to be pretty small. Do you think there is any risk of them turning into bigger pimples? As I have never had this raw chicken like feeling on my face before, do you how long the roughness might take to go away?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
acne treatment and steam

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
You are correct. The pores might have clogged.
Don't worry a few application of steroid will not harm you.
Just get back to acne regimen and you will be fine.
Take steam on your face daily for a week. This will open clogged pores.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 14 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX sorry to bother you again. Do you know if my condition has anything to do with Keratosis Pilaris as this condition says the skin feels like chicken skin. I'm not trying to self diagnose myself but it says there is no cure for this. What is the difference between this and comedones? I'm just so nervous I will not get back the once smooth complexion I had just 6 days ago. Wouldn't I have to have a history of Keratosis on the face for this to remain?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
not keratosis pilaris

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up. Its ok you can ask as many questions as you want.
We are here to help you.
Don't worry it's not keratosis pilaris. It happens mainly on shoulder and lateral thighs. I have seen your photograph. It is definitely comedone. Just relax.

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist