Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

145 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for persistent sinus infection

Answered by
Dr. Suresh Heijebu

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 3562 Questions

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello. I am from Slovenia. I have a question.

I had a really nasty chronic or acute sinus infection that lasted for around 7 months. If that wasnt enough i also did cocaine during this.

I had really bad nose pain, that over the months spread to my forehead and then the nose pain stopped and I started having pain on the top of my head.

Now there is a small bulge on the top of my head that is sensitive to touch and i feel i can move it around when touching it (like a small bubble of air below, and it moves around when i touch it).

Also when i tap some parts of my head they are really hollow. I also have a big hole in my nose that formed after the infection.

I am really worried because theres a constant pressure and movement on the top of my head.

Should i get an MRI or something?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam

I can certainly understand your concern and have worked through your attached query in detail.

Considering your symptoms it's advisable to get a HRCT SCAN ( High resolution CT SCAN) of the paranasal sinuses to rule out an Obstructive form of sinusitis.

With regards to MRI scan of brain, I don't think it's necessary at the moment.

I can guide you better if you can upload images of the forehead swelling.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 23 minutes later

I apologize you might have missunderstood me. There is no swelling on my forehead.

The pain is located on the top of my head, and there really isnt any swelling.

There is a bulge under the skin, with some redness/blackness on the skin and also my hair just feels kinda different to touch.

I know it sounds kinda funny to mention hair, but the whole region where the bulge is just feels completely different to touch.

I will try to take a picture and also send it to you.And the tenderness is also spreading to the back of my head on the neck part.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's important to rule out obstructive rhinosinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam

I can certainly understand your concern

Many of your symptoms point to obstructive rhinosinusitis.

It's important to screen yourself for the same, for which you require HRCT SCAN OF PARANASAL SINUSES.

Further management if any is largely determined by the test reports.

With regards to the overlying skin changes that you mentioned, I request you to share images for a better understanding.

Meanwhile pain referred to the back of the neck can be controlled with a short course of analgesics. I generally prescribe oral pills of Diclofenac sodium to my patients with such symptoms. Please verify with your physician if he can prescribe these medications to you.

Post your further queries if any
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on