Suggest treatment for pain, swelling and stiffness in the calf muscles

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi,

i went for a run in the morning and suddenly while running there was a strong pain in the calf of my right leg. now the calf is swollen and has become stiff. i can walk but its finding it difficult to walk without limping.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle cramp v/s tear

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Such kind of sudden onset pain in the calf usually occurs due to a muscle cramp / fatigue of the calf muscles (gastrocnemius/soleus).This can occur due to overdoing of exercises like running which leads to muscle fatigue.

Other possibility is of a probable partial calf muscle tear leading to haematoma formation and stiffened calf.

I suggest you to take bed rest with application of a compression bandage around the calf and leg elevation.

Avoid running and other strenous activities.

Take analgesic anti inflammatory muscle relaxant tablets like ibuprofen, aceclofenac or chlorzoxazone.

Calcium and L-carnitine tablets can accelerate the recovery process.

By these measures,you should be fine within the next 3-5 days.

If the symptoms worsen,you can get a ultrasonography / color doppler of the calf region.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy