Suggest treatment for non cancerous mole that is changing its color

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
i was able to get into my dermatologists office today and he removed a molenthat I had preciously inquired about here. I have uploaded a recent picture. his reason for removal was that he sees that its started changing. this is my first time at this particular dermatologist. how could he know its starting to change? I've been looking may the mole for over 5 years and its never gotten darker or lighter. as you can imagine, I'm anxious over it. he says that its nor cancerous and is atypical but will send it for biopsy to see what degree atypia it is. I've attached a picture of the mole on question
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The good thing is it is 'removed' so a weight off!

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.
It does appear your dermatologist is RIGHT & there is no cause for concern clinically.
However, I do agree with you that the best recourse is for a histopathologic evaluation & you should get the result in 48-72 hours.
Do hope our clinical opinion tallies with your HPE analysis.
Good Luck & Godspeed!

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for non cancerous mole that is changing its color 5 minutes later
so you agree that its a dysplastic nevi. I know only a pathology report will detail to what degree of atypism it is. a doctor wouldn't tell me not to worry if had other suspicions that I was something canxerous , correct ?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do Not Worry; Await HPE report, then forget!

Detailed Answer:
Correct. It does not appear to be cancerous or anything to worry about! Cheers.