• question-icon

Suggest treatment for nocturnal leg cramps

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 in Elderly Problems
Question: What causes leg cramps while laying in bed and what can be done to stop the pain and from happening? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nocturnal Leg Cramps:

Detailed Answer:

I'm sorry you are having leg cramps when in bed. These are called night leg cramps or nocturnal leg cramps and most often no specific cause is found. Muscle fatigue is a common cause. Dehydration can cause it too. And, there are some medical problems and medications that seem to be associated with more risk for night leg cramps. These include some blood pressure medications, cholesterol lowering meds, and diuretics (water pills).

Some things you can try are drinking plenty of water during the day, and stretching your legs for a few minutes before you go to bed. During the day were good quality shoes that support your feet well, and avoid high heeled shoes.

If you do a lot of walking during the day, consider stretching your legs before you do so.

Drinking sports drinks that have minerals and electrolytes in them can sometimes help the situation.

Also, untuck the bedding at the foot of the bed can help.

If these things don't help, or if you have persistent cramping, then it's time to see your doctor.

When you do get the cramps, flexing your foot toward you and massaging the calf can help. A hot water bottle or heating pad can make it feel better too.

I hope this information helps.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh