Suggest treatment for lichen planus

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife was Dx'ed several years ago with oral lichen planus, it was confirmed by biopsy. She was told
no known cure was known at the time. Since the dx, she has had intermittent problems which have cleared after a reasonable time frame, however, she has recently had recurrent problems with multiple sores in her mouth, which are more painful than normal and have not cleared for about two months now. My question is , has any progress been made in finding a treatment that is helpful.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I have gone through the history thoroughly and understood the problem. I'll try my best to help you out with this query.

Lichen Planus is an auto immune disorder which doesn't have a complete cure. This is because, there has been some modifications taken place in the normal genes of the body, which is responsible for this condition. Correction of all the genes in the body is not possible and hence there is no medicine to cure this problem.

Various medicines and therapies are tried with variable success. Normally the individuals affected with Lichen Planus are treated with local corticosteroid application and this has been the most effective treatment till date.

Recent trials have been conducted with topical niosomal gel formulation of hydroxychloroquine for the management of oral lichen planus. Niosomes have vesicles which can deliver drug molecules to the desired mucous membrane. These niosomal formulations have proven to be effective in the topical treatment of oral lichen planus in short time with less side effects and no recurrence after stopping the treatment.

Secondly, lasers are also used in treating the painful lesions of the oral cavity. Various types of lasers are used depending upon the severity of the lesions.

At present, the above two treatment modalities have been more promising and considered to be highly effective than oral corticosteroids.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later
Is the above treatment being used in most physicians offices or is uncommon to find someone using it?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Many tertiary care hospitals do have this facility. You can check it out with the nearest multispecialty hospital.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj