Suggest treatment for left sided pain in the face while on Advil

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I’m a 72 year old male, in general good health. Beginning about 3 days ago I began experiencing pain on the left side of my face, seeming to begin from the cheekbone and radiating out to eventually include an area about the size of my hand from forehead to jaw. The pain cycles at about 20 minute intervals, growing steadily more intense until it peaks bordering on severe , then receding back to a completely normal feeling. No vision or balance issues, no nausea.

Activity seems to help reduce the pain—walking, chewing something on that side of my mouth (food, gum). I’ve been taking Advil (3 at a dosage), but that doesn’t seem to provide much relief.

Roughly 9 months ago I had a filling in an upper left molor replaced and that tooth has maintained temperature sensitivity since then, but no other pain symptoms. I visited my dentist about a month back and he examined the filling and x-rayed the area, but found nothing abnormal.

Yesterday I visited an urgent care facility (2 day of this pain incident) and the only abnormal element detected was a solid buildup of ear wax in the left ear (some in right as well). Both were irrigated, but this hasn’t stopped the pain cycle.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consider trigeminal neuralgia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Trigeminal neuralgia may manifest with different patterns of pain that affect one side of face mostly around cheekbone.

Causes may include dental surgery, neurovascular conflict, compression of trigeminal nerve, multiple sclerosis etc.

It is necessary to get evaluated by a Neurologist ( neurological examination ) and by tests such MRI of brain in order to get a correct diagnosis of your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad