Suggest treatment for irregular and enlarged lumps on the tonsils

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello Dr, I have tried antibiotics and my tonsils sort of are a bit smaller but it's been a few months and they are still irregular and enlarged with many bumps and lumps . There is a purple scarring or something behind the tonsils and also I have an ulcer (still) at the back of a throat - there is no pain whatsoever. Shall I be very concerned?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your direct query. As long as you have no pain in the tonsils ,don't worry. Lumps and bumps are the normal structure of tonsils. Ulcer can be treated with multivitamin supplement containing zinc. Purple patch can be a venous patch. Not to worry. These are normal anatomical variation. Good tonsil size has reduced. Continue hot saline gargling twice daily. Avoid oily and cold items. Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 2 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. I viewed your images. Your tonsils looks healthy enough. Bumps are normal crypts if tonsils. Purple patch as you said is venous congestion. Continue hot saline gargling to reduce the congestion even more. Other wise everything looks normal to me. Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy