How effective is Ozone therapy in treating slipped disc?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Ozone therapy is FDA approved in XXXXXXX and also need to know how much time required for ozone therapy in PIVD claims
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs one day stay at hosptal.

Detailed Answer:
Ozone treatment has been tried in many spinal conditions like slipped disc (disc prolapse), spondylosis, nerve root compression and facet joint pain. They are reported to have success rate of 80% to 90% and almost 0% rate of complications compared to medical surgery.
General information about ozone therapy is as follows:

- Ozone being a powerful oxidant, immediately dissolves in the extra cellular fluid. It then, reacts with a number of molecules that are present there and this helps in symptom relief.
- During Ozone discectomy, ozone is injected in inter vertebral disc. After some time it causes the shrinkage and mummification of the disc, which provides relief to the compressed nerve root; this gives pain relief.
- Ozone also exerts anti-inflammatory actions; because of which edema, venous congestion is reduced and the blood supply gets improved.
- Usually intradiscal injection of ozone is not repeated. For facet joints or nerve roots usually 4-6 injections are required to be given once every week. But these injections are injected into the para-vertebral space.
- The pain relief from Ozone discectomy is good in the long term and its effect usually lasts for more than a year or so.
It is just a day care procedure with less hospital stay.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal