Suggest treatment for injured ribs
use anti inflammatory pain killers
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Trauma can result in injury to muscles and other soft tissue or bone.
After trauma the pain tends to get worse days after the injury.
In most cases the injury is limited to the muscles and soft tissues. Pain on inspiration,coughing and exertion imply that there is at least inflammation of the muscles/soft tissues of the chest wall.
If there is a non severe fracture of the ribs , it can potentially be treated at home once there is no injury to the lungs. Lung injury would present with shortness of breath. If this is not present , then you can continue to treat yourself at home.
(1)Add an anti inflammatory pain killer in addition to the paracetamol.
This would help with pain relief and reduce the inflammation associated with the injury.
Eg are naproxen, ibuprofen
One of these, combined with the paracetamol should be taken regularly at the maximum allowed dosing.
Naproxen 500mg twice daily or ibuprofen 400mg every 6 hours along with paracetamol 1g every 6 hours
Can continue muscle relaxant.
If these pain killers are not strong enough , you may need to get a prescription for stronger analgesia from your doctor.
(2)Continue the heat pad. This should be done for 10 to 15 minutes , 2 to 3 times a day
(3)Rest as much as possible.
This is essential.
After injury R.I.C.E is normally the course of treatment depending on the site. R- rest, I- ice, C- compression (bandage), E- elevation.
With the ribs, only rest and ice (would have been useful in initial stages) apply.
No compression or elevation
(4) if you have a cough. Obtain a cough suppressant from your pharmacy to avoid aggravating the injury.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for rib pain under the left arm
- Suggest treatment for back and ribs pain
- Treatment for rib injuries
- Calcification of the ribs treatment
- Suggest treatment for rib fracture pain
- Suggest treatment for pain due to broken rib cage
- Suggest treatment for pain in rib cage
- Suggest treatment for pain due to broken rib bone
- Suggest treatment for intense rib pain caused by an injury
- Suggest treatment for pain in ribs
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...