question-icon

Suggest treatment for inflammation in the toe after an injury

Posted on Thu, 28 Jul 2016
Question: my husband cut his toe and now it is sore and slightly inflamed
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Please give details and follow the advise.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history about 85 year old male having cut on his toe and now it is sore and slightly inflamed. Applied Neosporin.

Please provide additional information:
- When did this happen?
- How deep and wide is the wound?
- Is there any associated medical problems particularly like diabetes?
- Please post clear photographs if possible as it helps me for better assessment.

As a general Rule:
Considering the age and the site of injury being a toe I would always advise for an antibiotic cover, anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen or whichever suits him. Toe injuries are most prone for infection, this being the lowest part of the body, usually in the most dependent position unless the person is lying down all the time.
Also advised to take rest and keep the foot in above heart position by support with pillows or so in lying down position. This helps the best for reducing the edema , reducing the pain and helps in healing faster and better.
Always apply Solution/Liquid Povidone Iodine to the affected area as well as to the whole foot at least twice daily as it helps in sterilizing the skin and helps in avoiding secondary infection.

I hope this answer helps, please feel free to give feedback, post clear pictures is possible and feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon