• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy in a child

Posted on Tue, 27 Jan 2015 in Child Health
Question: Baby was diagnosed with mild hie a week after birth. She's meeting her milestones now and seems to be doing well. Is there anything I should be prepared for in the future? She's 6 1/2 months...sitting up and beginning to try and army crawl
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries, Mild HIE self resolves with in 24 hours , no sequelaes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. These neonatal asphyxias and has grades. The good thing about mild hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy is that it self resolves without any sequelae. Here is what happens in HIE mild form.

>Muscle tone may be slightly increased and deep tendon reflexes may be brisk during the first few days
>Transient behavioral abnormalities, such as poor feeding, irritability, or excessive >crying or sleepiness (typically in an alternating pattern), may be observed
>Typically resolves in 24h

As you already mentioned there is no problem with feeding and sleeping patterns of your baby and she already is on time in her developmental milestones.

Nutshell she is as good as humanly possible. Just start good nutritional supplementation to her, keep taking good care of her and make sure she feeds enough, sleeps enough and is covered enough in cold weather. Thats all she needs. No need to worry about 6 month old mild HIE. That aint gonna come back.

I hope it helps. Take good care of your daughter and yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Rehards
Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan